Lorde, Golden Globe Nominee for Best Original Song (“Yellow Flicker Beat,” The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I), looked lovely on the red carpet last night. Amber D for Kat Von D Beauty and Gavin Harwin for Wella Professionals did the makeup and hair honors, respectively. Here, the beauty breakdowns for each in their words.
“I visited the Museum of Contemporary Art in LA last week and was awestruck and inspired by a breathtaking painting from Mark Rothko that had washes of orange and red juxtaposed next to dirty greys, which made me feel like it might be time to revisit a more orange based lip this awards season.
To start, we created a luminous base using the Kat Von D Lock-It Featherweight Primer ($32) and blended it with a moisturizer for maximum hydration and luminosity. A tiny amount of Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation ($34) was buffed over the face using Sephora Collection Pro Flawless Airbrush #56 ($32) and was delicately perfected using Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Concealer ($25) with Sephora Collection Pro Airbrush Concealer Brush #57 ($24) to ensure a flawless complexion. To finish off the face, we added a sheer flush and slight contour and highlight, as we wanted to keep the main focus on the eyes and lips. For the eyes, we set brows with a clear gel and applied washes of neutral color of the Kat Von D Monarch Eyeshadow Palette ($46) by swiping shimmer shadows across the lid and then sculpting the corners with matte shades. We added a striking accent to the eye with an unexpected bronze liner using Kat Von D Lightning Liner in Hyde ($20) to make the eyes sparkle and then finished off with a few false lashes and gentle coats of Kat Von D Immortal Lash 24 Hour Mascara ($20). And for the lips, we made them pop with a mix of lip balm and Kat Von D Studded Kiss Lipstick in Countess ($21), a gorgeous matte hot orange red.”
“Taking the idea of a bound horse’s tail, I wanted to make the most of all the hair Lorde has while keeping it cool and modern.
1. Starting with damp hair, spray Wella Professionals LuxeOil Leave In Conditioning Spray from root to tip.
2. Create a strict side part and blow dry with round brush.
3. Apply a dime size amount of Wella Professionals LuxeOil Elixir to mid-lengths and ends.
4. Use a flat iron section by section to amplify shine and sleekness.
5. Tightly tie hair at the nape of neck, wrapping the first three inches securely in 3/4 inch elastic band.
6. Spread a generous amount of Wella Professionals LuxeOil Elixir through the ponytail to create super high shine.
7. Finally, set the look with Wella Professionals Stay Essential Finishing Spray and a last mist of Wella Professionals LuxeOil Light Oil Keratin Protection Spray to finish.”
What do you think of Lorde’s look last night? Yay or neigh (sorry, had to—horse inspiration!)?