Ellen Lange is the founder and creator of Ellen Lange Skin Science. This medical esthetician performed hundreds of skin peels in her family’s plastic surgery practice, and later pioneered the home-peel trend with her Retexturizing Peel Kit. She went on to secure a #1-selling skin care spot in Sephora for two consecutive years and won an Allure beauty award. To this day, Ellen’s mission is to continue developing professional at-home treatments that are accessible for everyone.
Here, she shares her 5 Rules for Life, in her words.
1. Let’s talk. There is nothing like talking. We can miss so much emotion when communicating over emails and text. I am not big on meetings, but hearing someone’s voice or having face-to-face conversations can be so revealing, comforting and productive. My leadership style is very inclusive and the business is very creative. I believe it is important to interact with my team on a personal level to grow the business. We are a diverse team of women, and I love to hear what everyone is thinking and appreciate everyone’s input.
2. Believe in yourself. When I created the Retexturizing Peel, it was the first at-home product of its kind. Most beauty companies were focused on color cosmetics, and skincare was not their focal point. I worked as an esthetician and based on my professional experience, I knew that if I created a peel that was affordable, easy and convenient people would use it. And they did! The Retexturizing Peel quickly became the #1 skincare item in Sephora for over two years.
3. Be independent. It is easy to get caught up in social media and keeping up with what everyone else is doing — but that is not where success comes from. Success comes from having your own point of view. I created my line while working as an esthetician in my family’s plastic surgery practice. I performed hundreds of skin peels effectively treating patients who were concerned about aging skin, acne and hyperpigmentation. My product development and testing took place in my medi-spa where my patients tried the product for themselves and gave their honest feedback.
4. Let yourself be vulnerable. I’m constantly on social media posting, which makes me feel rather vulnerable. But I quickly overcome that once I remind myself that many people have purchased Retexturizing Peel because they saw me using it online. Being authentic on social media is extremely meaningful and has created a personal connection with my followers. I demonstrate my products, I share my experiences and I work hard to educate my audience. After all, my followers are the reason I do what I do!
5. Practice self care. I have learned from my mother that taking care of yourself is the best gift you can give to yourself and your family. I believe it’s important to eat healthy foods, exercise regularly and surround yourself with people you love to enjoy life. I’m a strong believer in “me time.” It has nothing to do with being selfish or lazy! Sometimes you just have to rest your mind, body and soul. So often when I feel I can’t complete a work task, I know it is time to step back and take a break – that means a walk, a glass of wine or even a peel!
Stay tuned for more Five Rules installments.
“Five Rules,” is a series on Rouge18 in which I ask others to share their five rules for life about anything and everything. You can learn a lot about a person by reading which five things govern their actions, no?