Karlie Kloss’s stunningly sleek waves were created by the talented Giannandrea for L’Oréal Paris. “Karlie came to me inspired that it was her first time on this iconic red carpet. I really wanted to make this look special for her – anything halfway at the Oscars wouldn’t have made sense, it wasn’t the place. We went with soft fresh waves, Old Hollywood, but a little more relaxed and supple.” Here’s how to get the look.
- To start, hair was washed with L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Extraordinary Clay Shampoo ($4.99) and Conditioner ($4.99). It was important that last rinse of conditioner be done using cold water to close cuticle completely, which maintains subsequent volume.
- The first key product to the look was L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT Inject Volume Mousse($4.99), which served as the foundation. On towel-dried hair, Giannandrea worked product from root to tip, combing through.
- He next began blow drying the hair slowly on hot and low – using just his fingers so as not to stretch the hair, which minimizes volume. A combination of heat and mousse are enough for long-lasting volume, no brush needed.
- Next, he took a brush and sectioned the hair into a deep side part, and prepped small sections with L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray ($14.99).
- Using a 1-inch curling iron, he wrapped hair around the barrel with a little twist of his wrist while doing so to avoid any flatness. He worked the curling iron all the way around the head from top, down.
- To style the front, he picked up a flat iron to create a bend that was in line with the rest of the side curls — the effect of a flat iron vs. curling iron is less “round.”
- Once done, he brushed all the waves out GENTLY so as not to stretch them out.
- Next, he added a bit of L’Oréal Paris Hair Expert Extraordinary Clay Dry Shampoo ($5.99) for hold and plumpness, especially given the moisture in the air due to weather.
- Last, he softly brushed and added a final lock-in spritz of Elnett for shine.