Fictionary is a column showcasing beauty-related words that don’t exist, but should.
I’m all about good lighting–per my grandmother’s suggestion, I’ve pimped out my entire living room with soft pink bulbs so that my home yields the same soft-focus effect as that of the Quartmaines’ quarters. So when I learned that Hourglass‘ new line of Ambiant Lighting Powders mimicked the same results even when I can’t control my lighting concept, I was IN. Glambiance!
And you know me: it takes a lot for me to TRY a powder, let alone use one. But these luxuriously textured versions feel anything but dry and dusty and diffuse and soften light reflected on the skin while helping to conceal imperfections, pores and wrinkles. How do they do it? Unlike traditional powders that use opaque pigments, Ambient uses “photoluminescent technology”– micron-size spherical particles that refract light and create transparent coverage. They work for every skin tone and come in six different iterations. Do not be put off by Mood Light, which actually happens to be my favorite despite the fact that when I looked at it initially, I could only think about that scene in Edward Scissorhands when Peg (an Avon lady, lest you forget!) applies purple makeup all over Edward’s face to cover up his scars and uses a primer (?) with “a touch of lavender in it,” if by touch, you mean STRAIGHT UP GRIMACE PURPLE. But on? It’s sheer, beautiful mauvey divinity. Here, a rundown of all the shades.
- DIFFUSED LIGHT: A soft, warm, pale yellow powder. Light your skin with DIFFUSED LIGHT to reduce redness and give skin clarity – like a soft ray of morning light.
- ETHEREAL LIGHT: An opalescent sheer, cool white powder. Light your skin with ETHEREAL LIGHT to mimic a moonlit glow – even in broad daylight.
- RADIANT LIGHT: A sun-kissed golden beige powder. Light your skin with RADIANT LIGHT to extend a summer glow, or enhance the overall complexion with believable, subtle, warmth.
- MOOD LIGHT: A soft, sheer lavender pink powder. Light your skin with MOOD LIGHT to mimic the softest most forgiving light and reveal your brightest complexion.
- DIM LIGHT: A neutral peach beige powder. Light your skin with DIM LIGHT to blur imperfections and highlight a radiant complexion with the perfect balance of warm and cool tones.
- LUMINOUS LIGHT: A champagne pearl powder. Light your skin with LUMINOUS LIGHT to create a soft, incandescent candlelit glow – day or night.
Which one are you most excited about? And one tip As Peg sagely said, just blend and blend and blend. Blending is the secret. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders retail for $45 each at Barney’s, Bergdorf Goodman, Sephora, sephora.com and Space NK as of March 1.
Like this post? Don’t miss another one! Subscribe via my RSS feed.