MAC Cosmetics‘ latest collection (did you know the brand boasts FIFTY new collections a year?), MAC To The Beach is chock full of cosmetic gems and features whimsical seahorse-adorned packaging. Who doesn’t love a SEAHORSE? First of all, they’re magical–they look just like horses and yet are sea creatures (duh, but seriously–think about it) AND the males carry the young. So progressive, n’est-ce pas?
The details on the collection from MAC:
There is fun in the sun, to be sure, but To The Beach is more of a sensual state of mind – a pleasure we all feel near the sea. The girl and boy from Ipanema, from Cap d’Antibes to West Palm Beach…All around the world, the seaside has a romance, and a kind of golden, sexy alchemy we’re all drawn to. This collection encapsulates it, with sanddabs, seashells, the magic of marine life decorating packaging in the most soothing, sultry shades of summertime. NEW! Cream Bronzer and NEW! Bronze Body Oil pair up with other faux tanners and scorching summer colours to get let you close your eyes and go To The Beach!
I love several of the items I’ve tried from this batch, but I’m most obsessed with the new MAC To The Beach Bronze Body Oil. Why? There’s a long-winded story, natch. In 1999, I was a spry college co-ed at Boston University who’d just discovered the YSL counter at the Saks Fifth Avenue at Copley. I swiftly became involved with this FABULOUS queen (an older gentleman who KNEW his stuff when it came to makeup) who worked at the counter. He is the reason I stopped shopping at department stores for makeup. He could easily sell me on 13 new products and suddenly I’d be out hundreds of dollars I didn’t have. I was truly the dream consumer–but his suggestions were ALWAYS perfect for me. One time, I stopped by right before spring break (I was going to Cancun, naturally). My YSL friend showed me this gleaming, sexily scintillating oil that’s since been discontinued. He said simply, “If you’re not wearing this gorgeous body oil on spring break, then what are you WEARING?” And that was it. My roommate Dana and I each purchased bottles which we hid from our other five roommates (beauty looting at our college residence was violently abundant) and proceeded to hoard for… years. I still have a tiny amount left in mine. This what I do. I use up a whole bottle of something and then hoard the last drop for.ever. And never use it. I just have to know that it’s there. This is insane behavior, lest you think I’m unaware. I could certainly be profiled on Hoarders.
My point: MAC’s To The Beach Bronze Body Oil ($22) is an exact replica of the consistency and sexy sheen of my former YSL fave, so I can use up the last three drops and finally bid it adieu. This limited edition item yields a glowing tan shimmer that is chic, not cheesy as shimmer can be. It’s very… Michael Kors ad.
The full details of the collection:
Eyeshadow ($14.50 U.S. / $17.50 CDN)
- Sand & Sun Light peach (Matte) (Limited Edition)
- Firecracker Frosted mid-tone red-orange (Veluxe Pearl) (Limited Edition)
- Sweet & Punchy Bright yellow-green (Veluxe Pearl) (Limited Edition)
- Shimmermoss Green with green pearl (Veluxe Pearl) (Permanent)
- Humid Intense green with shimmer (Frost) (Permanent)
Lipstick ($14.00 U.S. / $16.50 CDN)
- Beach Bound Sheer frosted pale peach (Glaze) (Limited Edition)
- Lazy Day Light dirty blue-pink (Lustre) (Limited Edition)
- Thrills Rosy copper with gold pearl (Frost) (Limited Edition) (Repromote)
- Fun Bathing Mid-tone bronzed plum (Cremesheen) (Limited Edition)
Lipglass ($14.00 U.S. / $16.50 CDN)
- Easy Lounger Light baby pink with multi-dimensional pearl (Limited Edition)
- Flurry of Fun Sheer sparkly peach (Limited Edition)
- Splashing Mid-tone blue pink with soft gold pearl (Limited Edition)
Lip Pencil ($13.00 U.S. / $15.50 CDN)
- Life’s a Breeze Soft pink (Limited Edition)
- Temperature Rising Loudmouth orange (Limited Edition)
Eye Kohl ($14.50 U.S. / $17.50 CDN)
- Float on By Dark green turquoise (Limited Edition)
- Rosemary & Thyme Mid-tone olive gold with shimmer (Permanent)
Powder Blush ($18.50 U.S. / $22.00 CDN)
- Hipness Intense coral with soft white pearl (Frost) (Limited Edition) (Repromote)
- Get-Away Bronze Mid-tone suntan (Frost) (Limited Edition)
High-Light Powder ($26.00 U.S. / $32.00 CDN)
Nail Lacquer ($12.00 U.S. / $14.50 CDN)
- In the Buff Muted taupe avocado (Cream) (Limited Edition)
- Scorcher Creamy bright coral-red (Cream) (Limited Edition)
MAC To The Beach Bag ($49.50 U.S. / $59.50 CDN)
- Available at MAC Stores only. Limited edition.
Cream Bronzer ($25.00 U.S. / $30.00 CDN)
- Beach Bronze Golden glow with soft gold finish (Limited Edition)
- Weekend Mid-tone deep orange-brown with soft pink pearl (Limited Edition)
Lustre Drops ($18.50 U.S. / $22.50 CDN)
- Pink Rebel Blue-pink with gold pearl (Limited Edition) (Repromote)
- Sun Rush Peachy bronze with gold pearl (Limited Edition)
Bronzing Powder ($22.00 U.S. / $27.00 CDN)
- Golden Muted golden tan-beige with golden shimmer (Limited Edition)
- Refined Golden Finely spun golden with soft pearl finish (Limited Edition)
Bronze Body Oil ($22.00 U.S. / $27.00 CDN)
- Glowing tan with multi-dimensional golden shimmer (Limited Edition)
Brush 130 Short Duo Fibre ($38.00 U.S. / $45.50 CDN)
- A short, round dual fibre with flat head composed of both natural bristles and synthetic fibres ideal for application with creams, emulsions & various powder products.
Brush 131 Short Duo Fibre Powder/Blush ($34.00 U.S. / $41.00 CDN)
- Flat, tapered face brush that contains a combination of short, natural, fibers and longer, fibre optic fibres ideal for light application and highlighting/ shading with various face powders; Ideally suited with mineralize skinfinish powder products. (Limited edition).
The MAC to the Beach collection will be available on May 27 at MAC counters nationwide and at maccosmetics.com.
Disclosure: A portion of this collection was provided for editorial consideration